Midwives are experts in normal birth and strive to provide holistic women-centred care.
- Practice evidence-based, client-centered maternity and newborn care and are an established part of the BC health care system.
- Provide individualized care and offer 30-60 minute visits.
- Listen, observe, educate, guide and care. They order and interpret tests and screen for physical, psychological, emotional and social health
- Midwifery care is covered under the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)
- Offer a choice of birthplace (in or out of hospital)
- Midwives are primary care providers who can support you in your choices and can help facilitate your optimal birth.
- Midwifery care includes the provision of preventative measures, the promotion of normal birth, the detection of complications in the mother and baby, as well as the execution of emergency measures if necessary.
- Primary care to you and your newborn for 6 weeks postpartum
- Our midwives offer home visits in the immediate postpartum
- Help with breastfeeding and adjusting to life with a new baby