The team at Malachite Midwives maintains a commitment to social justice. We recognize that discrimination and systemic marginalization of people based on ability, age, class, economic status, educational background, ethnicity, gender, language, race, religion, sexual orientation, and reproductive and parenting decisions, perpetuates social inequity. We seek to foster an equitable, anti-oppressive environment that is welcoming, safe, accessible and inclusive to all of our staff and clients.
Doing our part for a Clean Environment:
- We use primarily non-toxic cleaning products.
- We provide paperless information and handouts through our website, to reduce paper usage and waste during your care.
- The paper in our office all comes from a 100% recycled source.
- We reuse paper as frequently as we can to reduce medical paper waste.
- Our clients and their newborns use linens rather than paper drapes during their visits.
- Our front lawn has been converted into an organic vegetable garden.
- We compost all food waste, which provides nourishment for our vegetable garden.
- We strive to reduce medical waste by using many instruments that can be sterilized, rather than disposable equipment.
- We have a pregnancy/baby clothing exchange area, and encourage our clients to donate to and take from these gently used items.
Green Energy provided by Bullfrog Power: We have eliminated our business’s electricity-related emissions footprint by using Bullfrog Power. This organization injects clean, renewable power onto the grid to match the amount of power that we use at the Malachite house. Please visit the website: http://www.bullfrogpower.com to gain more information about this unique sustainable energy company.
Resources for Non-Toxic Pregnancy / Baby Care :
Baby Products / Personal Care Products:
Chemical / Toxins in Consumer Products
Recipes for chemical-free products:
Fish / Seafood and Mercury:
General Information about Chemicals and Human Health:
Pregnancy / Pre-conception:
General Tips for a Clean Pregnancy and Home:
- Only use products on your body that you would put in your mouth
- Only clean your home with products that you would put in your mouth
- Purchase furniture for your home that is made with natural fibres and that is not treated with flame-retardants
- Avoid dressing your baby or child in pyjamas treated with flame-retardants. Choose organic, natural fibre pyjamas that specify "flame retardant free"
- Eat organically and locally. Buy your food from the outside aisles of the grocery store; avoid the aisles in the centre that tend to be processed and not fresh or whole. Find local/organic farms near you: https://www.soilmate.com